Evatt Styles is an Accredited Specialist in Dispute Resolution, and his skill and knowledge in constructively resolving disputes is recognised by his membership of the Dispute Resolution sub-committee of the Law Society of NSW.
Of course, all weapons should be available at the client’s option, and Evatt is also an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation.
Evatt has an international perspective. He is widely travelled with a sound understanding of people and cultures with family ties in Hong Kong and Singapore, broadened by significant periods in Germany and Europe, arising from scholarships and various roles/internships at various courts and firms.
Evatt is recognised by his peers for his expertise. His clients value his approach – describing him as measured, balanced, approachable, commercially astute, strategically aware, and tenacious in resolving disputes. Evatt would say that he just likes solving commercial problems with a straight bat.
Evatt’s dispute resolution expertise is as diverse as his background; he has acted for domestic and international clients (from small to mid-size businesses, individuals, such as directors, not for profit charities, sporting organisations, institutions to listed/unlisted companies).
Clients and legal practitioners value working with Evatt in commercial dispute resolution, urgent injunctive relief (search, seize and freeze orders), equity, insolvency, sports and cross border disputes. Evatt appears regularly in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, and Federal Court of Australia, as well as other state courts and tribunals.
“Resolving disputes could be simple – it is a pity that people are not.
- Dispute Resolution is the fine balance of strategy, process, timing and trust.
- Litigation is a fine balance too, but there is often no level of trust. When there is a level of trust, nearly anything is possible.
You should not require the expertise of both, but often, you just do.”
Key Professional Achievements
- Dual Accredited Specialist- Evatt is an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation, and an Accredited Specialist in Dispute Resolution.
- Appointments- Evatt sits on the Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee in Dispute Resolution for the Law Society of New South Wales; Professional Development Group Committee for Determinative Dispute Resolution, and the Professional Development Group Committee for Facilitative Dispute Resolution for the Resolution Institute, Australia and New Zealand.
- Qualifications– Evatt holds a Master of International Law degree (USYD), Master of Laws degree, majoring in Commercial Litigation (COL); a Diploma of International Commercial Arbitration (CIArb), is a graduate of the Company Directors Course (AICD); holds a Certificate in Advanced Insolvency (ARITA) and was admitted to the High Court of Australia in 2014, the Supreme Court of NSW in 2010; holds a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts (German) (UNE). He is also a qualified personal trainer (AIPT).
- Presentations– Evatt is a speaker and facilitator at conferences in Australia and Zealand in sports law, commercial dispute resolution and insolvency. He receives referrals from other solicitors and barristers.
- Membership – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb); Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD); Resolution Institute; and Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA).
The Law Society of NSW – Meet the Specialists