David Coorey is special counsel working in Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers Parramatta office, servicing Western Sydney and beyond.
David has more than 20 years’ experience as a solicitor working predominantly in the area of consumer law. This includes 16 years experience working with vulnerable clients at Legal Aid NSW, as well as large scale litigation experience (Freehills) and more recently as a decision maker (Ombudsman) at Australian Financial Complaints Authority.
He has represented clients with both large and small matters in all jurisdictions including the District Court, Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal in NSW. As an Ombudsman (Banking & Finance) at AFCA, David resolved complex responsible lending and hardship disputes, brought before the scheme largely by unrepresented consumers.
David is committed to achieving fair outcomes for clients who often face great challenges in successfully navigating the legal system.
Working closely with colleagues in the community sector and through experience working as a consumer representative on the Board at Financial Ombudsman Service for 9 years, his expertise includes policy submission and stakeholder engagement which works towards achieving a fair financial system for all Australians.
David has specialist experience in banking and insurance law. This includes advocacy and resolution of credit disputes as well as advocacy in general insurance and life insurance disputes including Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) and income protection.
“I am passionate about the assistance I can provide to improve the lives of my clients who often face significant barriers in accessing the legal system. This is often due to an illness or injury – which turns their whole world upside down.
With my background in consumer law and dispute resolution, I am committed to obtaining successful outcomes for my clients which works towards a financial system that is fair and accessible for all Australians.”
Key Professional Achievements
- David holds a Bachelor of Arts / Law from University of NSW and a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- David was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1999.
- Financial Counsellor’s Association of NSW, 2021 – present
- Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), Board Director, 2009 – 2018
- Financial Ombudsman Service, Nominations and Remuneration Sub-Committee, 2013 – 2018
- Insurance Ombudsman Service, Board Director, 2006 – 2009
- Fairness Steering Committee, Australian Financial Complaints Authority 2018-2020
- ASIC Consumer Advisory Panel, Consumer Representative, 2006 – 2015
- Insurance Council of Australia, Consumer Reference Group Representative, 2010 -2013
- Insurance Council of Australia, Consumer Representative, Consumer Consultative Committee, 2002‑2009
- Commonwealth Treasury, Insurance Reform Advisory Group, Consumer Representative, 2011‑2013
- Brotherhood of St Laurence Working Party on Low Income People and Insurance, Consumer Representative 2006‑2007