One of the most experienced litigators in Australia, Howard Harrison is a Partner of Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers. With 40 years of experience in litigation, compensation law and church law, he represents the firm and presents papers at the National and International Level.
Howard has extensive experience in Royal Commissions and Commissions of Inquiry. He understands how stressful these experiences can be. He and his team are experts in providing the client with a holistic approach to such processes.
Howard’s experience has also provided a platform for engagement at the policy legal particularly in relation to tort reform and church law issues.
Howard has a strong commitment to assisting the not-for-profit sector. He is the practice group leader of the COD not-for-profit litigation group. He serves on a number of boards and advisory committees within the not-for-profit sector, and has significantly contributed to the firm’s ongoing commitment to social justice issues.
Howard was awarded the Edmund Rice Bicentenary Medal for “extraordinary support given to the Mission of the Christian Brothers”.
“Working side-by-side with clients facing a public inquiry is a highly stressful experience for the people concerned. The team at Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers is second to none at helping clients go through the experience and get the best result when it matters.”
Key Professional Achievements
- Howard has a Bachelor of Economics and Master of Laws from the University of Sydney.
- He was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1979.
- He joined Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers in 1979, was made a partner in 1984 and was Managing Partner of the firm from 2007 to 2020.
- He is accredited as a specialist in personal injury by the Law Society of NSW and has served on a number of professional committees.
- He is listed in the 2020 Doyle’s Guide as a ‘Leading’ practitioner in the area of Leading Work Injury Compensation Lawyers (Plaintiff) NSW and a ‘Recommended’ practitioner in the area of Leading Public Liability Compensation Lawyers (Plaintiff) NSW.