Joshua’s passion for human rights has underpinned his outstanding career representing clients in personal injury, Royal Commission and estate litigation matters. Joshua approaches all of his clients with compassion and respect, as well as achieving exceptional compensation and commercial outcomes. Of note, Joshua has achieved a judgment of more than $2 million for a father of two who was “king hit” by a bouncer in Sydney’s nightclub district. With a keen interest in international law he has also successfully recovered significant compensation for a paraplegic client who was injured on a cruise ship in a foreign jurisdiction. Joshua has previously brought a Human Rights case against the Australian Government for breaches of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on behalf of 295 military veterans who were exposed to harmful radiation in the 1950’s and 1960’s during British nuclear testing.
Joshua continues to be involved in complex workers compensation, motor accident, civil liability, medical negligence, Superannuation/ total and permanent disability and income protection claims and estate litigation claims, obtaining significant compensation outcomes for his clients. Joshua is also involved in work with Royal Commissions and claims involving historical abuse that features as a significant part of his practice. Joshua is currently exploring the rights of National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) recipients with a view to assisting those with a disability to secure the best possible NDIS care plan.
In addition to managing a busy practice Joshua finds significant rewards in his role as NSW President of the Australian Lawyers Alliance. Joshua was called to give evidence to the NSW Parliament concerning amendments to racial vilification laws and continues to make ongoing submissions regarding law reform and social justice issues. His current law reform focus at present in his role as President is directed towards the NSW Victims of Crime Compensation Scheme, deaths in custody and the Motor Accident and Workers Compensation schemes.
Joshua’s extensive experience and passion for the law has seen him awarded the Emerging Lawyer of the Year award in October 2013 in recognition of his outstanding contribution to and demonstrated passion for social justice issues. Further, in 2014 he was a finalist in Lawyer’s Weekly, 30 Under 30 Awards.
“Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers has a culture of genuine social and corporate responsibility. We really care about doing the best for our clients and being actively involved in our communities.”
Key Professional Achievements
- Joshua is the NSW President at the Australian Lawyers Alliance having previously held the role of NSW Branch Secretary.
- Joshua became a NSW Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law in 2016.
- Finalist in Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30 awards in 2014.
- Awarded the Emerging Lawyer of the Year Award in 2013.
- Joshua completed a number of international law subjects at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, as part of his Bachelor of Laws, and attended the Special Court of Sierra Leone in The Hague, The Netherlands as a visiting intern in 2010.
- Joshua holds a Bachelor of Communication Studies majoring in Journalism, Bachelor of Laws and a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice.