David’s knowledge of the law is matched by practical experience. He has been on the board of many companies, and not-for-profits. He continues to serve in this way.
David practises extensively for organisations in the not-for-profit sector. He is known for his expertise in education law. He acts for many independent schools and other educational institutions. He consults to the boards of schools and charities on governance issues and regularly presents seminars to school teachers and administrators on education law issues. He is an experienced workplace investigator.
David has presented at conferences in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Belgium, the Czech Republic, New Zealand and throughout Australia. In addition, he has also published numerous papers on topics as varied as student rights, teachers’ liability, teachers/counsellors and confidentiality, bullying, outdoor education, discrimination, LGBTI students, child protection and investigations.
David recently presented at the Television Education Network’s Law for Religious Institutions Conference. Click here for the paper.
David also guides our clients in their estate planning. His particular expertise is in trusts, wills and complex estate administration.
“I love helping organisations that seek to make a positive difference in people’s lives. It is so encouraging to see what educational institutions and other charities are doing to make a difference in the lives of children and young people. It is always challenging to see the incredible needs, both in Australia and overseas, being met by our local charities. It is immensely satisfying to partner with them in achieving their goals.”
Key Professional Achievements
- a member of the Charity Law Association of Australian and New Zealand
- a member of the Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association, a former director and Treasurer of ANZELA Board and a former President of its NSW Chapter
- a member of the English, American and South African Education Law Associations
- a reviewer for the International Journal of Law and Education
- a member of the Editorial Board of the CCH School Principals Legal Guide
- the editor of Education Law Notes, which keep schools throughout Australia up-to-date with education law developments
- a member of the Association of Workplace Investigators and of the Australasian Association of Workplace Investigators