With 40 years’ experience, Josephine has helped clients, in her words, convert their dreams into reality by setting out the legal and practical pathway for the establishment of philanthropic organisations.
When working with charities and not-for-profit clients, Josephine sets up structures, designs governance and management systems and advises on Tax issues. She is an expert on the operation of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) and guides her clients through a risk-free pathway.
Josephine is passionate to ensure that legal issues are seamless and her clients achieve their goals. She has an uncanny memory for personal stories and often receives remarks from her clients regarding her recall.
Her major projects are varied and include work on the first retirement village for a large and aged care provider; the sale of a CBD office tower to the Catholic Church to create the Polding Centre, the head office of the Sydney Archdiocese, acquisition of a significant commercial tower for the Australian University, advice to educational institutions on creating commercial opportunities, green site developments for industrial and retail developers and creation of charitable vehicles for fundraising and service delivery in the, education, welfare and religious environment.
Josephine also assists many of her personal clients with their conveyancing, wills, and powers of attorney, general estate planning and business transactions.
Josephine is also passionate about mentoring young lawyers and the enthusiasm of young professionals is one of the things that inspires her on a daily basis.
“We are not a conveyor belt law firm. Each one of our clients is unique. Each client has their own issues, approach and needs. Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers is different because we provide services tailored to each client when it matters.”
Key Professional Achievements
- Josephine holds a combined Bachelor of Arts (1977) and Bachelor of Laws (1979) degree from University of Sydney and a Master of Laws degree (1994) also from University of Sydney.
- In November, 2016 Josephine became a Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD).
- Josephine joined Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers in 2009 as an Associate and became a partner in 2015.
- Prior to that Josephine had worked mainly in private practice and had been a member of the in-house legal team at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia for nine years.
- Josephine is a past member of The Catholic Weekly Newspaper board and Kincoppal Rose Bay School board and a past inaugural member of the Broken Bay Institute company board.
- In 2015 Josephine completed 21 years serving as a member of the Sancta Sophia College Council, University of Sydney, 10 of them as its Chair. In 2016 Sancta Sophia College included Josephine among their notable alumni for demonstrating an outstanding contribution in her chosen profession and for service to the community.
- Josephine is a present member of the management committee of the OLSH Overseas Aid Incorporated